Well, we've got a school-district team that really helps us put the "Individual" in "IEP." When we put together the plan last year, we decided to do a mid-year modification to get Joy into the school building for at least some portion of her itinerant therapy during the second semester, to build some familiarity so that kindergarten won't come as such a total fruit-basket-upset.
The time has come. As of this coming Tuesday, Joy will spend a couple of hours each Tuesday afternoon in kindergarten practice. At the school.
The schedule looks something like this:
- 1:00 Joy to arrive at Kindergarten doors (through playground)
OT meets her for locker routine -- removes boots & coat, hangs coat and backpack in locker [she's got a LOCKER!]
- 1:10 Joy to walk hand in hand through hallway and stairs -- end up at OT/PT room
- 1:15 Sensory activities in OT/PT room
- 1:30 Concentrated fine-motor activity -- sitting at table for stacking, cutting, drawing, etc.
- 1:45 Transition to special educator -- in gym or continue table tasks in OT/PT room
- 2:15 Hand-in-hand walk in hallway to block area in Mr. M's kindergarten room for table tasks from bag of familiar tasks.
- 2:35 To locker to get on boots, coat, backpack.
- 2:45 Leave with JoyMama.
I'll have the option of either staying at the school and volunteering in Rose's classroom or the library, or heading home for a bit of get-stuff-done time. One neat opportunity that comes up quickly -- Rose gets to be person-of-the-week around her birthday the second week of February, and she's really excited that I'll be available to come celebrate and that I can bring Joy to meet Rose's classmates after her Tuesday activities!
Hard to believe that my baby is really going to school. This coming week. Wow.