Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Who Shall Stand?

Christmas Eve morning.

The strains of Handel's Messiah are emanating from the CD player.

"Who may abide the day of His coming, and who shall stand when he appeareth?" demands the alto.

Joy punches a button on her Sesame Street toy.

And up stands: "This is the song, la-la-la-la, ELMO's song, HA-ha-ha-ha!"

We have our answer, folks. I never before did think of the significance of the "El" in "Elmo"...

And with that bit of theological malpractice, I wish you all the merriest of Christmases!

P.S. I treadmilled 5K today. In just under 34 minutes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! That's a great time for a 5K. How fun.

Anonymous said...

oh dear. and now we know why the children bow at the alter of the little red guy?

5k in 34 minutes. nicely done, madame.

Niksmom said...

Too funny! Maybe she knows something the grownups don't know?

BTW, great job on the 5k, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

(I woke up sick this Christmas morning, otherwise I would be getting ready for church.)

And I thought I brought together unusual concepts....el esoteric (said with a Spanish accent.)

Today I doubt I'll get to extend the garden work I started yesterday - clearing, spreading bunny poop and covering with mulch. Fortunately, no company coming today, but plans are for company Fri, Sat, and Sun. I better go back to bed. One last - we are having balmy highs in the 60's this week, after a cold snap last weekend.

Earning my reputation, BRatK

JoyMama said...

BRatK - huh. You mean maybe it's all about Spanish and not about Hebrew after all?

Then again... whoa... what about the "El" in "ELVIS"?!?!

I'm flattered that I've out-esotericked you. I think.