The rules of this award-game are that the recipient post seven things about herself and then pass the award on to three other stylish bloggers. I've been ridiculously non-compliant with meme-awards in the past, but I actually feel like doing the seven-things part this time, so here goes:
1) My three words for 2011 are: active, tidy, relax. (See Both Hands and a Flashlight for more about the three-words thing.)
2) On the "active" front, I've actually biked to work a couple of times this week, courtesy of a major snow-melt between Christmas and New Years that left the paths clean. Nine degrees Fahrenheit on the way there Wednesday morning, snowing on the way back. Woohoo!
3) "Tidy" applies to things like the filing of papers and the more deliberate tracking and attending to loose ends in various aspects of my life. It does not, however, mean that I'm going to buy back into the societal fetish that says grown women's legs need to be baby-smooth-depilated, either by razor or other means. Because I gave that up in 1987. (Got me a career and a JoyDad anyway. Heh.)
4) In 1987 I was studying in Germany for a semester. The other additional country I've lived in, besides the US, was Botswana, when I was a pre-schooler and my parents were on a two-year assignment with Mennonite Central Committee.
5) JoyDad and I went non-traditional when it came to engagement rings. Instead of spending money we didn't have for sparkly rocks from the mines of southern Africa, we bought each other ten-dollar sterling silver pinky-rings. They seemed to work! (Our wedding bands are gold and plain.)
6) I read around 30 new books a year, not counting re-reads. Some of my favorites from 2010 were The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and Playing the Enemy.
7) I re-read The Lord of the Rings about once every two years. My first time through was in 8th grade.
OK, there's my meme-fulfillment. Here's where I break the rules -- like Jess (another of Professor Mother's awardees), I don't feel like figuring out whom to pass the award to. So I'm not going to do that part. How about you all take care of it for me, by posting something fun about yourself in the comments!