Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Dream

The women of our congregation met at the church for women's retreat this weekend.

One of the women at the retreat went home afterward and dreamed about my daughter Joy.

In her dream, there was a man sitting and speaking to a group of people. He was speaking in long, complex, difficult-to-understand constructions.

Joy was with him, maybe on his lap or next to him. And she was translating for him. He'd say some long wordy something, and then she'd say just a few simple words that distilled it down and made it understandable.

My friend said that in the dream she was motioning to me, "JoyMama, come see this, did you know that she could DO this?!"

Joy already helps me understand some things that I might never have come to on my own -- about difference, about acceptance, about hope, about God working in the world.

I fully expect that she will continue to be an intermediary to my understanding, and the understanding of others around her. So much she has to teach us, if we only pay attention!

I am awestruck that Joy's presence touched my friend's dreaming to convey and reinforce that message.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very special. It gives me goosebumps!

jess said...

What a beautiful and profound truth.

Anonymous said...

This is moving. It reaffirms my belief that, despite a lack of spoken language, my son (like Joy) has the ability to greatly affect change in others.

Niksmom said...

Erm, I used my wordpress ID...now I remember why I don't. No one knows me that way! :-\

Anonymous said...

Wow. This might sound a little weird, but the dream reminds me of an instruction in the Bible... people were "speaking in tongues" and Paul wrote that there should be someone to interpret what was being said (1 Cor. 14:26-28). The passage illuminates that the one who interprets has a *gift*. Joy does interpret, illuminate, and bring understanding in many, many ways. Your friend knows this.

pixiemama said...

I love that dream. I love that your friend shared it with you, and you with us.

xo