- We've heard so few words from Joy, for so long -- other than the "more" sign, some photo-choice-making on her Go-Talk, and the occasional "uh-oh". But tonight at dessert time, she echoed the word "cookie," clear as clear. Just once. JoyDad and I both did a double-take. And gave her one with chocolate chips.
- Speaking of the "more" sign. The other day at breakfast, JoyDad came swooping past to distribute kisses to his breakfasting ladies. Joy giggled at him, and tilted her face up. And then after receiving her kiss, she signed a great big "more"!
- And still more "more" -- today I was home with Joy, and had a few minutes where she was playing in the living room and I sneaked in some plunking on the piano. I've given up trying to play piano when Rose is around. I don't know why, but I get great big huge objections to my playing if Rose is within earshot. So it felt really good today to end a section of the Maple Leaf Rag with a big flourish... only to look up and find Joy grinning at me and signing "more"!
- Some totally cool imitation/initiation -- this morning one of Joy's baristas reported that Joy had snagged a tissue from the box and used it to go after the barista's nose! She did it again to me later on in the day. Unfortunately in my case it was with a nasty tissue that was blowing around the playground that she picked up. But the thought was in the right place.
- We had a therapy-team meeting last night, where positive stories are always the first agenda item. Joy bopped around the living room during the meeting, with her Baby Einstein video on repeat-play. She has never shown much interest in the meetings. But last night as the meeting was nearing a close, she decided that she wanted in on the action. She sidled up to Lynda (her Wonder Woman daycare lady) and climbed right up on her lap. And then she did this marvellous flirty little sequence of turning to make eye contact with Lynda, with a great big ol' grin. Over and over.
Accentuate the positive!